Monday, August 27, 2012

sweet dreams








Chuck Palahnuik is one of those authors that you either despise or become utterly obsessed with, there is no in-between, and luckily for me it was the latter.

It was a hard choice picking which Palahnuik novel to begin with, but after much deliberation I decided on Lullaby which basically won me over with its amazing cover.

Lullaby follows the strange and compelling life of Carl Streator. Carl once had a happy life with a beautiful wife and child, that was until he read them a lullaby and woke up to both of them dead. Little did he know the lullaby was actually an African culling song used to peacefully kill children during times of drought when they would starve to death anyway.

Now Carls life centres around trying to destroy all the books that had the lullaby, so something like this will never happen again, as well as trying to destroy the original. Whilst on this journey, Carl takes advantage of his newfound "power", meets a woman who has been doing so for years and a young magic obsessed couple who both want the lullaby for separate reasons.

Reading Lullaby was such a breeze because I found that I couldn't put it down. Palahnuik is such an unusual writer that you really can never predict what happens next, at times disturbing and other enlightening there really is something to keep you interested on every page.

I really recommend you read this book, even just as a taste of something unusual, as it makes you question several aspects of daily life. However, at times the book can get quite graphic and sexual, so if this isn't your thing then I don't recommend you read it - or maybe just when it starts getting dirty flip the page!


6 comments:

  1. Sounds very interesting. I might have to buy this book and experience it myself.

    attempted ambition blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's probably right up there for me out of the most interesting books. Let me know what you think :)

      a - x

      Delete
  2. Oh my, I started reading this book about 2 years ago and then we moved house and it got misplaced in the move, I've been meaning to buy another copy to finish it because I remember it being disturbing but it hooked me! The writing is so easy to read too, I really enjoyed it. You've inspired me to go find a new copy!
    Love your pictures too!
    XO Amie

    www.creditcrunchchic.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's no good! I'd hate to lose a book like this. Maybe try some 2nd hand bookstores, that's where I found my copy.
      Glad I reminded you about it :)

      a - x

      Delete
  3. Lovely photos & this book looks interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, although they're really not the greatest quality. It is :)

      a - x

      Delete

Talk to me.